In 1867 and 1868 a small frame building was erected on East Street. This building stood until 1906 when that structure was torn down and a brick and stone building was erected because of the enlarged congregation.
On April 17, 1963, lightning struck the church at approximately 7:30 A.M. and, despite the efforts of six fire departments and many volunteer helpers, the church buildings were totally destroyed.
Without a church building in which to meet, the people of the church moved into the gymnasium of the Oxford Junior High School. At that time, many people confessed Christ as Savior and joined in the work of the church.
In 1963, approximately ten acres of land were acquired bounded by Daniel Axford School and Pontiac Street. A building program was initiated which called for an auditorium that would seat 336 and a Sunday School that would accommodate 35 classrooms. Upon completion of the facilities, by the grace of God and the courage of the members, the edifice was dedicated on October 25, 1964.
In May 1973, the church took action to establish Oxford Christian Academy as an extension of the Christian home and for the purpose of training young people for Christian leadership. That ministry continued in operation until 2003.
The ministry of the church has continued under the leadership of many faithful pastors. The current pastor is Claude Wiggins, who has served at FBCO since October 2014.